Fireplace fuse

Is There a Fuse in an Electric Fireplace? (Why it is Necessary)

Electric fireplaces have a fuse and need to be functional for the fireplace to provide heat efficiently. The fuses are easy to install and quite inexpensive to replace. Fuses help protect the electric fireplace from overcurrent in the electrical circuit. When replacing a fuse, make sure the fireplace is completely off to avoid getting shocked. 

Typically, electric fireplaces are fused at the main electrical service entrance of the building. The heating elements also contain fuses located on the inside of the fireplace. If you change the fuse and the fireplace still does not work, you may need to call in an expert. Do not try repairing the transformer, heating elements, power relays, or heating relays. It is advised that these components be repaired by a professional.

What Fuse Goes Into an Electric fireplace?

Check your electric fireplace for a manual or a sticker to get the wattage information. You can then decide on the correct fuse to use. For an electric fireplace that uses up to 700 watts use a 3 amp fuse. As for the fireplaces that use between 700 and 1000 watts, use a 5amp fuse. For the fireplaces above 1,000 watts use a 13 amp fuse. 

Common Electric Fireplace Problems and their Solutions

Electric fireplaces come in different sizes and shapes. The electrical components may age or get destroyed with time. Here are some of the problems you may experience with your electric fireplace;

  1. The electric fireplace is not turning on. They all use electricity as the main source of power, so check whether the electric switch is on. Do not plug an electric fireplace into an extension but rather directly into the socket. Other solutions may include trying another socket, cleaning the interior, or checking the fuse box.
  2. An electric fireplace does not produce heat. Electric fireplaces use a conventional space heater to heat rooms. The heater may have problems turning on or blowing cold air. Ensure the fireplace is plugged in if you experience such. Also, check on the main switch if it is on. Also, ensure the inlet and outlets to the heater are not blocked.
  3. The electric fireplace keeps shutting off. Some of the fireplace units come with a thermostat. This will help keep the room at constant temperatures.  There are other models with overheat protection. So, if it keeps turning off, it is because the room temperatures may be reaching the temperature set at the thermostat. The same applies if the electric fireplace turns itself on. 
  4. The flames on the electric fireplace will not show up. The flames are not real but rather produced by a bulb that runs on electricity. You have to ensure that the fireplace unit is turned on at the socket. Also, check the button that is used to control the brightness of the flames. 
  5. The electric fireplace keeps beeping. The noise is used to alert you that there is something wrong with your fireplace unit. The batteries to remote may need replacement or the components need to be cleaned. 
See also  How Much Noise Does an Electric Fireplace Make? 5 Common Noise Types

How Do I Know My Thermal Fuse Is Blown 

You can test whether your thermal fuse is blown or not. This is how it is done; touch the right side of your multimeter lead to the right side of your fuse. Repeat the same with the left multimeter lead. If the multimeter needle fails to move, it means the thermal fuse is blown. 

Why is my Electric Fireplace Smelling?

Whether your electric fireplace is vented or not, there could be a smell from it. This is because of the creosote and soot deposits in the old chimney. The electric fireplace is usually an insert on the old fireplace. When they get heated, they remove a smell that wafts through the room. 

Electrical Fires

Smells like burning plastic in your house are caused by an electrical fire. Most of the electrical fires are odorless and no smoke is involved. The cause of the fires is old appliances and faulty electrical components. A faulty electric fireplace can start a fire in your house. Make sure you do frequent servicing to avoid the fire. 

You can try using sand to put out an electrical fire. Never try using water on electrical fires. This is because water conducts the electric current and provides a risk for a deadly shock. Also, dry the hands and shut off the breaker before trying to put out the fire. 


Electric fireplaces have a fuse to help protect them from too much current. If the fuse is shot, the appliance will not work efficiently. Fuses reduce the risk of replacing the whole appliance in case of an overcurrent. Follow the safety guidelines before going on to replace a fuse. 

Related Posts